Foreign Maritime Entity

A non-Liberian business entity, such as a foreign corporation, partnership, or other legal person, may own a Liberian-flagged vessel by registering the non-Liberian entity in Liberia as a Foreign Maritime Entity (FME). In order to register as an FME, the foreign entity must have legal existence in its underlying jurisdiction, the power to own a vessel, and the capacity to sue and be sued in its own name. It must also remain in goodstanding in its underlying jurisdiction and in Liberia.

Detailed instructions on how to register an FME, as well as model forms, are available here.